One of the key issues highlighted in many recent surveys carried out by many professional institutions is the dependence of individuals on technology. Yes! It has gifted us a whole new world of opportunities. However, it has deprived us from many basic skills in life. One of the main skills affected by globalization and modernization is seen to be writing.
Whilst writing is seen to be a highly important skill for both students at higher levels of education and professionals in their respected careers, many individuals often struggle with the basic knowledge. The purpose of this blog is to inform the readers about how they could improve the basic writing skills and benefit from it.
Before identifying the major mistakes, let’s look at the minors that can make a huge difference to your writing skills!
- The first and the very basic element of any writing is its structure. Be sure to structure your essay effectively with a clear introduction, detailed main body and a strong conclusion. To avoid plagiarism issues make sure that references are clearly stated in the required format.
- Remember, each word counts! Therefore, it is highly important to familiarize oneself with the basic parts of speech commonly being; verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb and preposition. Be sure to choose your vocabulary wisely and effectively!
- Alongside the above, using appropriate grammar is vital to your writing. Bad grammar often deprives readers’ interest towards what maybe the most interesting piece of research. Use the correct tenses and appropriate syntax to add to your creativity.
- Consider those never-ending essays which you may have come across in life and how it may have put you off to sleep! You NEVER want anyone to suffer through this! Therefore, it is highly important to keep a check on your punctuation. Use a variety of punctuation if possible and use it correctly.
- Know your target audience! This is a key to a successful essay! Write accordingly so your message is clearly understood by the readers.
- Keep it to the point and in reference to your main theme or subject throughout the piece of writing.
- Avoid generalizations. Heard of those picky individuals? Yes, you do not want a feminist rage!
- Keep it as original as possible. People are interested in reading your work and not what they may have already read or what may seem to be a plagiarized piece of work.
- Last but not the least, remember, practice makes perfect!
These basic improvements contribute to the improvements of your writing. Remember, too much of something or too little of it is never a good choice. Therefore, it is important to keep a balance.